As traditional brick-and-mortar stores continue to merge with virtual marketplaces, e-commerce platforms have emerged as pivotal tools for businesses to establish an online presence and reach a global audience.
Amidst the array of available e-commerce solutions, WooCommerce stands out as a robust and adaptable platform.
It empowers businesses of all sizes to create, manage, and optimize online stores effectively.
Serving as an open-source e-commerce and flexible software solution crafted for WordPress-based websites, WooCommerce transforms standard websites into fully operational online stores equipped with essential e-commerce functionalities.
Additionally, WooCommerce streamlines the management of online stores for businesses, simplifying tasks like configuring product displays, managing orders, and seamlessly integrating multiple payment gateways.
Because of this, WooCommerce became the leading e-commerce software platform worldwide as of July 2023, with a market share of nearly 39%.
Do you want to know more about the platform, the number of users, payment gateway, geographic distribution, popular product categories, and other WooCommerce statistics?
Just continue reading.
Post Contents [show]
- Around 6.18 million live websites are using WooCommerce
- Nearly 30% of all online stores utilized WooCommerce as their platform in 2021
- WooCommerce became a prominent e-commerce software platform globally, with a significant market share of nearly 39%
- Out of the top 1 million e-commerce websites, WooCommerce powered 22% of them
- WooCommerce ranks second among all open-source platforms online, with an adoption rate of nearly 13%
- In June 2023, the most popular product category among the active online stores using WooCommerce is “home & garden,” with over 241,500 online stores
- The WooCommerce plugin has been downloaded roughly 162 million times from WordPress.org
- In 2020, WooCommerce enabled sales exceeding $20 billion.
1. Over 6 Million Live Websites Are Using WooCommerce
WooCommerce is an open-source e-commerce plug-in for WordPress, a widely used content management system (CMS) for building websites.
This platform allows individuals and businesses to transform their WordPress websites into online stores, enabling them to sell products and services over the internet.
According to statistics, nearly 14 million current and previous websites embraced WooCommerce as a solution.
As of August 2023, around 6.18 million live websites are using the platform, while an additional 7.79 million used it historically.
Among the 6.18 million live WooCommerce-powered websites today, over 2.67 million are in the United States.
Let’s take a look at the number of websites that are using WooCommerce by country in August 2023:
- 2.67 million websites in the United States are currently using WooCommerce
- 270,000 websites in the United Kingdom are currently using WooCommerce
- 175,000 websites in Germany are currently using WooCommerce
- 162,000 websites in India are currently using WooCommerce
- 158,000 websites in Italy are currently using WooCommerce
2. About 8.9% of All Websites Use WooCommerce
The report shows that the percentage of all websites using WooCommerce in August 2023 reached 8.9%, increasing from 7.4% in January 2021.
Moreover, the platform is used by around 13% of all websites with a known content management system (CMS).
In comparison, the percentage of websites using WordPress is more than 43% in 2023, up from 39.7% two years ago.
3. Out of All the Operational Online Stores Utilizing WooCommerce, More Than 241,000 are Home and Garden Stores
WooCommerce is a versatile e-commerce platform that can power online retail stores selling various products.
Businesses using the platform can sell anything from physical products like home goods, clothing, and electronics to digital products like software, online courses, and ebooks.
A survey reveals that among the operational online stores using WooCommerce in June 2023, “home & garden” is the most popular product category, accounting for approximately 241,500 online stores.
The apparel category comes next, with almost 240,000 online stores.
Below are the numbers of online stores using WooCommerce in June 2023 by product category:
- 241,544 “home and garden online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 238,663 “apparel online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 169,317 “food and drink online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 152,047 “business and industrial online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 145,508 “people and society online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 143,300 “beauty and fitness online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 117,153 “health online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
- 113,339 “arts and entertainment online stores” run on WooCommerce in June 2023
4. Among the Top 1 Million E-Commerce Sites, 22% Are Powered by WooCommerce
WooCommerce takes the lead by powering 22% of the top 1 million e-commerce sites, making it the preferred platform in this category.
Shopify and Magento follow, with 18% and 13%.
This percentage shows WooCommerce’s strong market share.
These top-tier e-commerce sites with substantial traffic are often associated with larger budgets and enterprise-level solutions.
To break down the numbers further, in the list of the top 100,000 sites, Shopify claims the lead with 21%, while WooCommerce secures the third spot with 12%.
As for the top 10,000 sites, Shopify again takes the lead with 23%, and WooCommerce shares the fourth spot with Oracle Commerce at 6%.
E-commerce software platforms are digital solutions that oversee the processes and operations of online stores.
These platforms handle tasks like inventory management, product addition or reduction, order fulfillment, and tax computation.
In July 2023, WooCommerce became a dominant global e-commerce software platform, with a substantial market share of 38.74%.
It is followed by Woo Themes and Squarespace Online Stores, with nearly 15% market share each.
Here are the leading e-commerce software platforms worldwide in July 2023:
- WooCommerce accounted for 38.74% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
- Woo Themes accounted for 14.95% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
- Squarespace Online Stores accounted for 14.67% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
- Shopify accounted for 10.32% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
- WixStores accounted for 8.09% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
- Others accounted for 13.22% market share in the e-commerce software platforms and technologies
6. WooCommerce Ranks as the Second Most Popular Platform Among All the Open-Source Platforms on the Internet, Holding a Usage Distribution of Almost 13%
WooCommerce secures the second position in popularity among all open-source platforms on the internet, holding a usage distribution of 12.96%.
Dominating the top is WordPress, with 79.64%.
Of all the websites that use e-commerce technologies, roughly 3.2 million websites use WooCommerce.
This number secures the second spot.
Shopify claims the lead with almost 3.7 million e-commerce websites.
7. As of June 2023, WooCommerce Checkout is Next to Shopify in the E-Commerce Software Market in the US
In the United States, WooCommerce Checkout was the second-most popular e-commerce software next to Shopify.
It is used by around 17% of websites, compared to Shopify’s 28%.
Here are the e-commerce software market shares in the US in June 2023:
- Shopify – used by 28% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
- WooCommerce Checkout – used by 17% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
- Wix Stores – used by 16% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
- Squarespace Add to Cart – used by 14% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
- Ecwid – used by 4% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
- Others – used by 19% of US websites that utilized e-commerce technologies
Unlike other countries, WooCommerce Checkout was the predominantly used software for e-commerce websites in the UK.
About 22% of these websites used this platform.
Shopify follows, accounting for a 21% market share.
Let’s take a look at the market shares of e-commerce software in the UK in June 2023:
- WooCommerce Checkout had a market share of 22%
- Shopify had a market share of 21%
- Wix Stores had a market share of 17%
- Ecwid had a market share of 10%
- Squarespace Add to Cart had a market share of 12%
- Other e-commerce software had a market share of 18%
9. WooCommerce Plugins on WordPress.org Exceeded 4,000
WooCommerce plugins are add-on software components that can be installed and integrated with the WooCommerce e-commerce platform.
These plugins enhance the features and capabilities of WooCommerce-powered online store.
They can extend the functionality of WooCommerce by adding new features, integrations, and customization options that are not in the core WooCommerce plugin.
Data reveals that the WooCommerce marketplace hosts 731 official plugin extensions that cater to various functionalities.
WooCommerce plugins’ recent count on WordPress.org reached 4,228 and still growing.
The official WooCommerce plugin on this platform has amassed a substantial count of 3,161 five-star ratings.
10. The WooCommerce Plugin is Downloaded from WordPress.org Approximately 30,000 Times Daily
Statistics show that the WooCommerce plugin was downloaded nearly 162 million times from WordPress.org and continues to accumulate downloads.
On a daily basis, it recorded at least 30,000 downloads from WordPress.org.
However, the monthly download figures for this plugin fluctuate between 1.5 million and 2 million.
This download pattern displays distinct spikes once or twice a month.
It is worth noting that the WooCommerce plugin achieved its peak number of downloads on July 15, 2021, totaling 3,952,563 downloads on that specific day.
11. As of January 2023, About 1,400 WooCommerce Themes are on ThemeForest
WooCommerce themes are specialized design templates developed to integrate seamlessly with the e-commerce platform.
These themes provide a consistent and visually appealing appearance for online stores powered by WooCommerce.
They encompass various design elements, layouts, typography choices, color schemes, and functionalities.
These themes enhance the presentation and usability of e-commerce websites.
According to the latest report, ThemeForest had approximately 1,400 WooCommerce themes in January 2023, up from 1,321 themes the prior year.
Similarly, the WordPress.org Theme Directory had 1,591 WooCommerce themes in 2023, increasing from 1,453 the prior year.
12. The WooCommerce Plugin Accessible on WordPress.org is Compatible with 66 Different Languages
The WooCommerce plugin accessible on WordPress.org is compatible with 66 languages.
These encompass multiple versions for various languages, including six English versions, eight Spanish versions, and three Chinese, Portuguese, and French versions.
13. WooCommerce Powers Nearly 30% of All Online Stores in 2021
About 29.35% of all online stores were powered by WooCommerce in 2021.
Squarespace Online Stores secured the second-largest share at 21.15%, and Shopify follows with 12.69%.
WooCommerce provides support for 629,227 websites.
Comparatively, Squarespace accommodates 453,474 websites, while Shopify accommodates 272,146 websites.
14. In 2020, WooCommerce Facilitated Sales Amounting to More Than $20 Billion
In 2020, the impact of WooCommerce on the e-commerce landscape was remarkable.
It facilitated sales that surpassed $20 billion.
This figure demonstrated a growth trajectory, exceeding the results from the previous year by more than twofold.
This significant surge in sales is a testament to the platform’s effectiveness in empowering online businesses to reach customers, promote products, and drive transactions.
The substantial increase in sales highlights the trust and reliance that businesses and consumers have placed on WooCommerce as a reliable and effective e-commerce solution.
15. Agoda.com is one of the Popular Websites Using WooCommerce
Below are some of the popular websites using WooCommerce:
16. WooCommerce Plugin was Used By Nearly 94% of WordPress E-Commerce Websites
The statistics reveal a significant preference for the WooCommerce plugin among WordPress-powered e-commerce websites, with an adoption rate of 93.7%.
This percentage underscores the dominance of WooCommerce for businesses seeking to establish an online retail presence within the WordPress ecosystem.
The widespread use of WooCommerce highlights its effectiveness in addressing the needs of diverse businesses, regardless of their size or industry.
Its adaptable nature and comprehensive features make it a versatile tool for creating and managing e-commerce platforms.
The high adoption rate also signifies the platform’s reliability, user-friendliness, and ability to integrate e-commerce functionalities into WordPress websites.
17. Stripe is One of the Leading WooCommerce Payment Gateways
An essential aspect of effectively managing an online store is having a secure, convenient, and trustworthy payment solution.
Here are some of the best payment gateways users can use with WooCommerce:
- Stripe – top selection for WooCommerce integration, ensuring seamless transactions
- PayPal Pro – widely used payment gateway that streamlines the payment process for customers
- Square – excellent choice when operating both an online and physical store
- Authorize.net – dependable, Visa-endorsed payment gateway solution for secure transactions
- Amazon Pay – offers cutting-edge security and anti-fraud measures as an Amazon payment gateway
- Apple Pay – tailored for WooCommerce on Apple devices, ensuring secured and smooth payments
- Alipay – unlock access to the vast Chinese market by accepting payments through their prominent payment gateway
The emergence of WooCommerce as a significant e-commerce solution emphasizes its potential to empower businesses in the digital era.
Its diverse functionalities, flexibility, and affordability make it an attractive choice for businesses looking to establish or enhance their online presence.
As the e-commerce landscape continues to evolve, WooCommerce is poised to remain a key player, fostering growth and innovation for businesses of all sizes.
The key WooCommerce statistics provide insights into various aspects, including usage distribution, global reach, traffic trends, sales growth, and performance of the online stores.
Understanding the platform’s market share and popularity can help individuals and enterprises comprehend the platform’s position within the e-commerce landscape.
These data empower users in strategic decisions, optimize online stores, and enhance the overall shopping experience for customers.