A human hair topper, also known as a hairpiece or wiglet, is a popular hair accessory for people experiencing hair loss or thinning. They are designed to provide additional volume, coverage, and style to your existing hair. In this ultimate guide to human hair toppers, we’ll cover everything you need to know about choosing, wearing, and maintaining them.
1. What is a Human Hair Topper?
A human hair topper is a small hairpiece made from natural human hair that is attached to your existing hair to add volume and cover thinning areas. They come in various sizes and styles to suit different needs and preferences.
2. Choosing the Right Topper
When selecting a human hair topper, consider the following factors:
- Base Type: Toppers come with different base types, such as lace, monofilament, or silk. Choose one that suits your comfort and aesthetic preferences.
- Size: Ensure the topper covers the thinning area adequately without looking unnatural. Measure the area you want to cover before purchasing.
- Hair Type: Human hair toppers are available in different textures, such as straight, wavy, or curly. Choose the one that matches your natural hair texture.
- Color: Match the topper’s color to your natural hair color for a seamless blend.
- Attachment Method: Toppers can be attached using clips, tape, or adhesive. Consider your lifestyle and comfort when choosing the attachment method.
3. How to Wear a Human Hair Topper
Wearing a human hair topper involves the following steps:
- Prepare Your Hair: Comb your hair and create a stable base for the topper. This may involve teasing or using hairpins to secure your hair.
- Attach the Topper: Depending on the attachment method, clip, tape, or apply adhesive to secure the topper in place. Make sure it’s positioned correctly.
- Blend and Style: Comb and style the topper along with your natural hair for a seamless look. You can cut, curl, or straighten the topper as needed.
4. Caring for Your Human Hair Topper
Proper maintenance ensures the longevity of your human hair topper:
- Washing: Wash your topper sparingly, about once every 10-15 wears, using a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner designed for human hair.
- Drying: Gently pat the topper dry with a towel, and then let it air dry on a wig stand or a mannequin head. Avoid using excessive heat to prevent damage.
- Styling: Use heat styling tools sparingly and at low temperatures to avoid heat damage. Apply heat protectant products before styling.
- Storage: Store your topper on a wig stand or mannequin head when not in use to maintain its shape and prevent tangling.
5. Maintenance and Repairs
Over time, human hair toppers may require maintenance and repairs, such as reattaching clips or replacing worn-out areas. Consider consulting a professional wig stylist for these tasks.
6. Removing and Cleaning Adhesive
If you use adhesive to attach your topper, learn how to safely remove and clean the adhesive from both the topper and your scalp. Adhesive removers specifically designed for wigs are available.
7. When to Replace Your Topper
Human hair toppers can last anywhere from several months to a couple of years with proper care. Replace your topper when it starts showing signs of wear, such as thinning hair or damage to the base.
8. Consulting a Professional
If you’re new to human hair toppers or have specific concerns, consider consulting a wig specialist or stylist who can help you choose, customize, and maintain your topper for the best results.
In conclusion, human hair toppers are versatile solutions for those dealing with hair loss or thinning. With the right choice, proper care, and maintenance, you can achieve a natural and confident look.