Castor oil is extracted from the Ricinus communis plant seeds native to the tropical African and Asian regions. It is rich in Ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids. So, experts recommend using castor oil for hair directly on the scalp for long and lustrous hair.
Massaging castor oil on the scalp helps to boost blood circulation and dislodges the piled-up dirt and grime on the scalp. In addition to this, it gently strengthens the hair follicles and promotes faster hair growth.
When it comes to the comedogenic rating, castor oil has a score of 1, which means it is unlikely to clog the pores and follicles in your scalp. Castor oil is rich in fats, which means it keeps your hair shafts lubricated and thus helps in reducing excessive hair breakage. However, it is best to limit castor oil for hair massaging to about once a week because it is very thick.
Benefits of using pure castor oil for hair
Before we choose to extend the benefits, we would like to offer you a pro-tip about the usage.
Here is our take: Warm the castor oil in a double boiler and apply it from the roots to the hair. Need some extra love? Add a drop or two of peppermint essential oil if you have an itchy scalp. Need time off? Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to soothe your scalp.
Here are the benefits of using castor oil for home-based hair care:
- Promotes healthy and shiny hair: Want to run fingers through long locks without it getting tangled? Castor oil is the best hair oil in India and is well-proven as your rescue partner too. Warm pure castor oil and apply from the roots to the tips of the hair. Leave on the oil for at least 30 minutes or overnight, if possible. Next, wash your hair with warm water and use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner for best results.
- Prevents Hair Fall: Hair fall bogging you down? Add castor oil for hair in your hair care regime. Being one of the best hair oils, castor oil can help treat dull and lifeless hair prone to hair fall. In addition, a regular massage with this oil helps strengthen the roots, thus averting hair fall.
- Hydrates and moisturizes the hair: Castor oil is the best hair oil in India to help seal the natural oils and moisture in your hair strands. Since it is a natural emollient, it detangles your hair and adds much-needed sheen to your hair.
How to make and use a hair mask at home?
Including castor oil for hair care routine is a smart habit, provided you know how to do it the right way. DIY castor oil hair masks are easy to make and provide your hair with long-lasting hydration and nourishment. From easing the itchiness and reducing dandruff to boosting blood circulation and promoting better hair health, these DIY masks do it all.
Here are some of the best hair masks you could curate from this oil and get started with the best hair care experience without visiting a salon!
Hair with Tea Tree EO + Castor Oil + Aloe Vera Hair Mask
You can blend aloe vera gel’s soothing and healing properties and castor oil to rejuvenate and heal the scalp. Regularly using this hair mask also locks in moisture to the hair.
Tea tree essential oils are packed with antiseptic, antiviral, and antifungal properties that reduce the buildup on the scalp and reduce the intensity of dandruff, itching, and inflammation.
- To make the mask, mix 2 tbsp of Mamaearth castor oil for hair with ½ cup of Mamaearth aloe vera gel and two drops of tea tree essential oil. Whip these ingredients in a glass bowl with a wooden spoon till all of the ingredients are blended completely.
- To use, section your hair and apply this paste on the roots and gradually move to the tips. Massage the scalp for a few minutes with your fingertips so that the paste gets smeared uniformly, coats the hair shafts, and penetrates the hair follicles.
- Next, wrap your hair in a hot towel or use a shower cap to let the mixture seep into the scalp. Leave it on for about thirty to forty-five minutes. Next, cleanse your hair thoroughly with a sulfate-free shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. The result is soft and silky hair. You can use this mask every week for all hair types.
DIY recipes using castor oil
When blended with other hair oils, Castor oil can give many benefits for the best home-based hair care experience. Here is another smart way to use castor oil for hair.
Hair Growth with Fenugreek Powder + Castor Oil + Almond Oil Hair Mask
Castor oil, as we have explained earlier, adds strength to the hair that, in turn, reduces hair breakage. In addition, when castor oil is combined with the goodness of fenugreek, rich in iron and protein, almond oil, and other nutrients essential for hair growth, it promises healthy hair.
To make the hair mask, mix three tablespoons of Mamaearth Castor Oil and one tablespoon of Mamaearth Almond Oil. Whip them well and then add to this about one tablespoon of fenugreek powder.
To use this mask, apply this paste to the length of your hair. Next, wrap your head in a hot towel and let the mask stay for at least 30 minutes for optimum results. Finally, cleanse your hair thoroughly with a sulfate-free shampoo and follow up with a conditioner to get soft and silky hair. You can use this mask once a week for all hair types to promote faster hair growth
We still recommend doing a patch test
Please conduct a patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to castor oil for hair. And for optimum results, stick to any products for at least 3-6 months. While it is easy to get swayed by products that promise results overnight, remember that in most cases, natural ingredients take time to show results in any hair care regimen. This is why you should opt for a safe and natural hair care product range, as offered by Mamaearth.